What are Dental Implants?
Dental Implants are used as tooth replacements.
Benefits of Implants:
- Natural Looking: They look like your natural teeth.
- Comfort: They feel like your natural teeth, they do not need to be removed like dentures.
- Eating: There are no issues with eating, unlike with dentures which may move.
- Durability: They are very durable and may even be able to last a lifetime with proper care.
- Convenience: Implants eliminate the need inconvenience of removable dentures!
What is the Process?
A full evaluation will be performed. X-rays and impressions will be taken.
Your dentist will assess whether bone grafts are necessary and discuss your recommended treatment plan.
If there is insufficient bone to place the implant, a bone graft will be done. It can take 4-12 months for the bone to heal before the implant can be done.
Damaged Tooth Removal:
If any remaining tooth is left, it will be removed.
- Local anaesthetic will be used to numb the area.
- An incision is made in your gums, exposing the bone.
- The bone will be drilled to create space for the implant.
- The implant will be screwed in place.
- The gums will be closed over the implant (May require stitches)
- The healing process (May take up to 5 months)
Not necessary if the abutment is attached to the implant metal post.
- The gum is reopened to expose the implant.
- The abutment is attached to the implant.
- The gum is closed around the abutment.
- The healing process (2 weeks)
- Impressions will be taken
- Temporary crown will be placed.
- Final crown will be placed after manufacture (8-9 days)
Post Treatment Care:
- Good oral hygiene
- Regular Dental Checkups
- Avoid Tobacco
- Avoid biting on substances that are very hard.
- Swelling of the gums
- Minor bleeding
- Bruising of the skin and gums
- Pain at the implant area
- The dental implant may fail to fuse with the bone.
- Infection around the area of the implant.
- The body rejects the implant.
- Bone loss around the implant.
- Nerve damage due to drilling or implant placement.
Request an Appointment
Fill out the form below and we will contact you during our working hours.